A Simplified Guide on Quicken Data File Conversion
Quicken is an uber reliable financial manager which does its task like no other application. It has remained a highly reliable software that is single-handedly capable of solving all financial management requirements of the users.
Quicken data file conversion might be a tad bit tricky, but it’s nothing to lose sleepover. There are multiple versions of Quicken, and various platforms. In this blog, we will cover the most famous questions that could help the majority of people. These include segmented guides for different versions and questions like how to convert Quicken data and how long Quicken data conversion takes are covered.
Go through the blog and learn the steps to convert.
Converting Quicken Data
Data conversion for a different version or Quicken to QuickBooks data conversion is required for several reasons. When one opens his/her data file in the latest version of Quicken one finds that the data file is updated to work with the new program architecture. Quicken converts the software. One can also “convert” data from Windows to Mac (or vice versa).
Procedure for Quicken to QuickBooks Data Conversion
This is a pretty straightforward process. All you need to do is
- Open QuickBooks and select the “File” option;
- Now go to Utilities > Convert > From Quicken;
- Now choose the Quicken.QDF file you want to convert;
- Click on Covert and now follow the entire process as asked
Quicken Data Conversion For Windows
Before one starts converting Quicken data from the earlier version, there are a few points you must remember:
If the conversion of Quicken Windows is from a version older than Quicken 2010, there is a possibility that you can face some data file problems. Regrettably, if one selects to do this, it would be difficult to assist in any conversion problem that will occur. One can only be helped if there is a conversion from the 2010 or above version of Quicken.
Quicken For Windows Upgradation: 7th Release of 2010 – 2016
Quicken’s new version needs to be installed, a data file must be opened, and the steps mentioned are to be followed for the upgradation:
- After installing Quicken and registration, one can see a screen as shown below:
- Now select “Open a data file located on this computer” and then click “Get Started”. Search for a data file from where it is stored and open it.
- Click on “Convert File” and sign in with a valid ID, if asked. This will take you to the point where you can convert your data file. Remember, that after the data file has been successfully converted, it will not open in Quicken foregoing to Quicken Windows 2016 8th release.
Conversion of a Data File from Quicken 2010 or Later
To go further with this step, there is no need to follow any instructions. Just install the new version of Quicken and simply open your data file.
Quicken Conversion: 2004 Through 2009
Download Quicken 2013. Launch it and use it for the conversion of your 2004-2009 files.
Note: Do not forget to complete the steps mentioned before proceeding with the installation of the new version.
Step 1: Backup and Install the Version of Quicken 2013
- Backup all your data files in Quicken
- Close Quicken
- Download Quicken 2013 for Windows
- Select “Save File”, and then navigate to the desktop and save it on location
- On your desktop, double-click the recently downloaded file QW2013DLX.exe
- Just follow the instructions as they will be shown on your screen to install and convert your available data file.
Step 2: Install the Most Recent Version of Quicken
- Backup your data file in Quicken
- Now close Quicken.
- Install the recent version of Quicken for Windows.
Quicken Data Conversion: Quicken 1998 – 2003
To proceed with this, it is required to convert the file to Quicken 2004 first. The Quicken 2004 version has been analyzed and will install and work on Windows OS 7, 8, and 8.1 (32 bits or 64 bits: Quicken 2004) via the conversion procedure. It’s incompatible with Windows 10 OS.
Note: Remember to complete the steps given below before installing a new version.
Step 1: Back up and install the Quicken 2004 version.
- If you are running on Quicken 1998 – 2003, ensure that your data file is recent, and then back up your files, then close Quicken;
- Download Quicken for Windows 2004 version;
- Click Save the file, and then go to your desktop and save it on the desktop;
- Then, on your desktop, double-click the recently downloaded file QW04DLX.exe
- Now just follow the instructions as they will be shown on your screen to install and convert your available data file.
Step 2: Backup and then Install the Quicken 2013 version
- Backup all your data files in Quicken 2004 version
- Close Quicken
- Download Quicken 2013 for Windows
- Then select “Save File”, and then navigate to your desktop and save it there.
- Now on your desktop, double-click the recently downloaded file QW2013DLX.exe
- Just follow the instructions as it is visible on your screen, to install and convert your available data file. This is the final step before converting to the version of Quicken you will be using.
Step 3: Install the Most Recent Version of Quicken
- Backup your data file in Quicken 2013 version
- Now close Quicken.
- Install the latest version of Quicken available for Windows.
Also Read: How to Move Quicken to New Computer?
Quicken Data File Conversion: For Versions Older Than 1998
It is not possible to convert the Quicken version which is older than 1998. We recommend you open a new data file in the latest Quicken version, for stability. Once the procedure is complete, the converted file can be used for reference. A new data file must be created for the future entry of the data. The stability problem may occur if new data is added to the original file.
Quicken Data File Conversion For Mac
Could I convert from the first version of Quicken for Mac to a subscription release?
Yes, there is a possibility to convert data from Quicken to Mac 2015, 2016, or 2017 and also you can convert from Quick Essential and Quicken to Mac 2007.
What is the procedure of converting from a version of Quicken for Mac older than 2007?
Quicken for Mac versions older than 2007 are not verified for conversion; But, if you have a data file from an older version of Quicken for Mac, it must be updated to the latest Mac version.
Steps to Download and Install the Newest Version of Quicken for Mac
Select Start with the Quicken Mac 2007 Choose file, even if your file is from an earlier version than 2007. Be sure to check the “Start from an existing Quick 2007 file” segment in this FAQ for information about transforming to a new version of Quicken Mac.
How Long Does Quicken Data Conversion Take?
This depends on what your system configuration is, along with the internet connection speed. However, even if they both are sound, you should still be patient as Quicken files are generally large and detailed.
To conclude, this article covers all aspects related to Quicken file conversion. You also get a section dedicated to Quicken to QuickBooks data conversion. All these details should be enough for you to waltz through the Quicken data file conversion. However, please be sure that you create a backup for safety reasons. If it all seems a bit out of your league, please don’t think twice before opting for expert help.